Following the merger of the former Languedoc-Roussillon and Midi-Pyrénées Regions, the new Occitanie Region has redesigned its information system, including document management.
As part of this modernization program, the Region has chosen the Open Source collaborative-DMS platform GoFAST to centralize, secure and manage in a transversal way, all working documents.
Main objectives of the project
Find a platform able to unify the documentary databases of the two former Regions, now merged (IS of Toulouse and Montpellier),
- Replace file servers by progressively migrating entire sections of the database to the Collaborative DMS,
- Promote transversal and collaborative work to increase efficiency,
- Offer an alternative to Microsoft SharePoint/Office365, as well as the DMS used by one of the two HQ,
- Better control of both the budget and its IS with OnPremise or a dedicated hosting and a solution that can be audited,
- A solution able to be deployed to all the agents of the Region (nearly 3,000 users) and its partners (already more than 1000 external users),
- Favoring an Open Source and sovereign solution (Cf. Act Cloud USA)
- Allow time savings in document management (search, sharing, activity monitoring, etc.) and drastically reduce the number of errors (versions, duplicates, overwritten or deleted files, non-compliance with business processes, etc.).
An Open Source solution to answer many business issues
Collaborative spaces for cross-management of documents between departments, services, project teams, remote sites (especially between Montpellier and Toulouse) and the region's external partners,
- A secure management of access rights to contents, which can be dedicated to business managers (GDPR)
- Collaborative work, including simultaneous co-editing of Office files and the possibility of centralizing and securing exchanges to "relieve his mailbox" and ban all attachments,
- Permanent and secure access to documents and all collaborative features via a simple web browser (mobility and telework),
- The establishment of a Knowledge Base shared by all agents,
- Notifications "activity summary", on contents and associated exchanges.
Digital transformation around an Open Source solution
This project is a good example of how to rethink your IS and how to work towards more collaboration while raising the level of security of your data.
It allows to demonstrate that today Open Source is much more than a "technology", but a real solution to the service of the users to respond concretely to their daily issues.
The choice of the GoFAST Collaborative GED platform allows the Occitanie region to avoid the deployment of certain proprietary and "GAFAM" solutions (including Office365/SharePoint), thus protecting itself from the Cloud Act and the pricing policies of major publishers.
Working with a sovereign/EU editor also has important advantages: proximity, better understanding of business issues, consistency with political speeches for the promotion of EU startups and SMEs rather than GAFAM, and the mastery of its data.
The Occitanie / Pyrenees-Mediterranean region is the 2nd largest region of France
With 72,724 km2, Occitanie has 13 departments, it is the region that has the most.
It also has 4 488 municipalities, 161 intercommunalities, 2 metropolises that are Toulouse and Montpellier, 1 urban community: Perpignan Mediterranean Metropolis, 20 communities of agglomeration and 138 communities of communes.
Occitanie remains the Region of France investing the most for the life of the inhabitants and the future of the territories. The 2019 budget is marked by the affirmation of regional policies for mobility and sustainable development, equal opportunities, access to training and employment, economic development, source of value and social progress.